Guidelines for Physical Education Waivers
Students may request a waiver of the physical education requirement (1 or 2 courses). All requests are to be make in writing (memo form) to the Supervisor of Physical Education, John Jancuska, RAC Room 322, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250. All requests should include the following information: name, address, UMBC Campus ID number, e-mail address, and anticipated graduation date: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Requests must fall into one of the following categories:
- Collegiate athletic participation
- Medical – The student will have to provide medical documentation from their physician (No physical therapist, chiropractors or other health care professionals) stating that they are unable to participate in “Any” physical education classes for the duration of their academic stay at UMBC.
- Military – the student must provide documentation from the branch of the armed services which they were/are actively enlisted. This is not limited to the U.S. armed services. Forms which provide information about service time (DD214) are required. Typically 6 months of active service is equivalent to 1.5 physical education credits.
- Age – The student must provide a copy of their birth certificate or driver’s license, along with documentation as to when they first began taking courses at UMBC (myumbc unofficial transcript). Students must have been 30 years old prior to their first semester at UMBC.
- Collegiate athletic participation – The student must provide documentation from their previous college, university, or junior college athletic department stating that they participated on a varsity athletic team. One year of participation equals one physical education course (1.5 credits)
Requests are reviewed and processed at the end of every month. Upon review, copies of the documentation are kept on file in the Physical Education department at UMBC and the student’s degree audit will be updated within 72 hours.